You must be here to get the exact answer to your question, “What is a shower valve?” and “What does a shower valve do?” This article is going to help you to get the actual answer to these questions, and it will explain how you can replace a shower valve if you need.
So let’s scroll down and read first of all that:
What is a Shower Diverter?
As you have seen in your kitchen, bathroom and in other areas of the house that the water runs out of the tub spout and when you pull the handle or the tap to let the rain fall out, there is a part of that spout which does this process is called a valve of shower diverter.
There are certain types of these valves. There are a two-valve and a three-valve shower diverter. Let’s have a look at the following shower head valves’ types:
Types of Shower Diverter Valves:
The following are the types which are most common of the shower diverter valves:
Tee Shower Diverter:
The shower diverter is a kind of pipe that keeps only one tap and inserted in the inner side of the tub spout. This is very common among people. You may pull the handle of the spout to give the pathway to water flow to the showerhead. But first, you’d better set the water temperature. Then you can find it working well and better than you have ever expected.
Showerhead Diverter Valve:
This is another type of shower diverter valves. When you install it with multiple showerheads and the showerheads which have the feature of a detectable handheld showerhead. It does not do the job of directing water from spout to the showerhead. Instead, these valves let the water run through multiple showerheads.
- 3- Valve Shower Diverter:
This 3-valve shower diverter exists between the hot and cold taps on the faucet. You turn the handle and permits the water, so it diverts to the showerhead. It changes water into the desired temperature.
- 2- Valve Shower Diverter:
This type of diverter possesses a couple of L-shaped valves and seems like the 3-valve diverter. It is also known as a dual shower head diverter valve. Also, It allows the water to flow to the showerhead after you set its desired temperature. You can install this type of valve between the taps on a 2-tap faucet. Or it can have a single dial for adjusting the water temperature.
Let’s have a look at some more understanding concerning the shower valve:
If we talk about a ‘shower valve’ we generally talk about as follows,
- A thermostatic valve
- A pressure balancing valve
- A transfer valve or a diverter
Also, there is also a handheld shower head with a shut-off valve. Moreover, Pressure balancing valves and thermostatic valves curb and maintain the water temperature of the showerhead. In contrast, the diverter valves or transfer valves direct or re-direct the water flow of your showerhead.
Best Shower Valve 2019: Moen 2510 Brass Posi-Temp Pressure Balancing Tub and Shower Valve
When do you need to replace a Shower Diverter Valve?
You need to change the shower valves after a certain period depending upon the quality and manner of usage of the showerhead. When you see your showerhead leaks or does not let the water flow out in an appropriate swift way, it is the right time to change your showerhead diverter valve. It is indeed a time-taking process. Extracting the previous shower diverter valve and fixing new one as a replacement is, of course, a time-consuming procedure. Just keep calm and carry on. You do not have to be hasty at all while doing this work to replace, nor do you need a specialist worker or plumber to do this job. If you are a bit more careful and tidy, you can make it without any worries.
What steps do you have to take to replace a Shower Valve?
In a vast explanation, following are the steps that you should adopt while replacing the shower valve:
- First and the foremost step is to turn off the lid so that the water does not fall out and you could remain saved from wastage of water. This is a universal morality and sense of understanding the duty as a gentleman.
- Then you cover the shower drain with a cloth completely. So, you can protect the waste from the dirt, dust, or small parts to fall into the drain.
- After that, you have to unscrew the shower mixer trim plate and remove the shower handle and take the caulking and trim plate off too.
- After that, you go for cutting out the old valve, and you should cut a more massive access hole to reach the pipe and replace it accurately and conveniently.
- Now remove the valve clip with the help of a pair of pliers, and then with the same pliers you pull out the valve from the wall.
- After doing the above steps, then you clean and carry on sanding new copper pipe unless it gets smoother.
- Afterward, you solder the copper pipe after you have done the sanding and cleaning, but make sure to disassemble the plastic parts before sanding from your newly bought shower valve.
- After that, you reassemble these disjoint plastic parts. Joint the elements as well as the valve within the cavity of the wall.
- Insert the new valve and slightly and gently fit the metallic clip into the right place where you replace the old clip.
- After all, it’s done, fix the trim and handle again and tighten it to the wall. And now its time to turn on the water and test if the liquid flows out. It is always recommendable for you to test for leakage, also fixing or installation leakage.
- If you think water is not coming out rapidly, you’d better loosen a bit the stops by turning them the opposite side.
Are there any problems with shower valves?
Yes, indeed. There are several problems with showerhead, but the following or all other issues are solvable. See below the top three most general matters:
- Dirt and Rust: Dirt and dust could build up over time in the shower valve, causing problems like hot/cold temperature unwilling variations.
- Depreciation: As shower valves go working and in use. Their life’s parabola keeps moving down. Then what can you do to hold its breath and increase it a bit to work longer than expected life? You will have to repair it. And keep it up periodically. When you see that eventually the valve’s seals leak so go for its replacement rather than spending time and money on its repair.
- Parts: Ball bearings, the reaction speed pressure, and thermostatic valves could also slow down. As a result, the shower temperature probably starts fluctuating, which is not a good sign. Go and replace it.
This is highly recommended to you to search on the internet the information, and prints it on the trim plate. So that you will gain an idea about the manufacturing firm and what model of the set you have at the moment, and you may get tips to replace it.
Similarly, before replacement of the valve, you are advised to know what type of plug fixes your shower head. You can get an idea effortlessly by a plumber.
What things do you need to it all?
- Pair of pliers
- Shower valve
- Metal valve clip
Also Read These Buying Guides, Reviews, and Informational Posts
Top 10 Best Rain Shower Head Reviews with Buying Guide 2019
10 Best Handheld/Fixed Shower Heads for Low Pressure 2019
Best Shower Head Reviews with Buying Guide 2019
10 Best Filtered Shower Heads with Ultimate Guide 2019
Culligan Wsh-C125 – Best Filtered Shower Head Review 2019
How to Clean Shower head/Unclog Shower Head Holes 2019