Just think of the time when you clean your bathroom. You might probably clean your faucets, sink, toilets but do you clean your shower head? Most of you will answer no, but you have to clean it regularly after every month.
Why do you need to clean your shower head holes?
Why do we people did not clean our shower heads unlike other bathroom accessories like toilet faucets? The answer is that the shower head does not get dirty from outside like separate accessories toilet, faucets, etc.
Mineral deposits and other organic matter build inside your shower head time to time that let to decrease water pressure if you notice a sudden change in water flow of your shower head then it might be true that your shower head needs a deep cleaning.
Beside this, you should need to unclog your shower head considering your health factors. Because of the humid and hot environment inside the showerhead makes it a perfect breeding place for mold and bacterias as because of this many diseases take place like Mycobacterium Avium (a pathogen linked with pulmonary disease) and Stenotrophomonas maltophilia ( black gunk that gathers around shower heads and taps). When you turned on your hot shower disperse these microorganisms into the air, and they will get easily inhaled.
How shower heads get dirty?
There are multiple factors due to which shower heads got dirty that are
- Tiny amounts of organic matter present in our water
- Mineral and slime found in our water
- Small bits of debris found in our water
Methods To Clean Shower head:
There are various methods listed below by which you can clean your single or dual shower head and restore it to its previous position.
- Rub the nozzles and make it clean
- Clean shower head with vinegar
- Wash shower head holes with baking soda
- Clean a clogged shower head with bleach
- Make shower head clean with Citric acid ( My Story)
Easy Method: Rub the nozzles of the shower head.
If you have a shower head with flexible rubber holes, you can gently rub it with your fingers and massage it well. This method will clean the debris present in the shower head and also unclogged your shower head. You can also scrub your shower head with an old toothbrush if it does not get clean with fingers.
Note this is only short term method and it will increase your water flow to some extent and maybe you need to do this after every week. If you want long term solution of cleaning your clogged shower head, then use any of the methods listed below.
Method 1: How to clean a shower head with vinegar?
Vinegar has components that will break down the deposits and will clean your shower head
Start with a deep cleaning if you have not cleaned your shower head from months so starts with deep cleaning. To clean your showerhead here are some of the steps listed below.
- Combine 1 cup of white vinegar and 3 cups of hot water in a large bowl.
- Remove your shower head by unscrewing it and remove any extra water in it.
- Put your shower head in that large bowl containing vinegar and hot water and let it be in it for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the shower head from the bowl.
- Take an old toothbrush and clean your shower head thoroughly
- Use a toothpick to open the clogged holes of the shower head.
- Rinse shower head entirely with water.
- Reinstall your shower head and run cold water through it.
After reinstalling your shower head now, it is the perfect time for you to clean your shower pipes and hose to remove any waste there too. You can also use Telfon’s Plumber tape to wrap around your pipe to ensure a tight seal.
Method 2: How to clean your shower head with baking soda?
Baking soda is also a natural abrasive and also use to clearing up stains and clogged passages. You can use baking soda with vinegar to clean your shower head and makes it shiny and new. A baking soda and vinegar combination produces a chemical reaction to remove dust and other deposits making your shower head look glamming
You will need 3-4 spoons of baking soda and 1-2 cups of white vinegar in this method.
- Pour 1-2 cups of vinegar along with four tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl
- Do this in the sink as baking soda when reacts with vinegar produces bubbles.
- Soak the shower head with baking soda and vinegar solution and leave it for 30 minutes
- Next, Pick an old brush and rub on the shower head to remove dirt.
- You can also pick a toothbrush and open holes of the shower head with it.
- Dry the shower head and attach it with the shower hose.
- Run cold water from it for 2 minutes to remove any particles.
Hope your shower head will clean after using this method.
Method 3: How to a clean shower head with bleach?
Cleaning a shower head is always fun. Bleach is one of the most useful substance to clean bathroom accessories like faucets, shower heads, and toilets because bleach can remove mold, debris, and dirt. You can also purchase bathroom cleaners containing bleach that is Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach.
Here are few steps about cleaning your shower head with bleach.
- Put Equal amounts of water and bleach in a bowl
- Wear gloves in your hand and also do safety precautions
- Also, put a mask on your mouth to prevent bleach smell from inhaling
- Put your shower head with an inside bowl containing bleach and water
- Leave the shower head inside it for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the shower head outside take a brush and rinse it well
- Again take a toothpick and open the clogged holes of the shower head
- Clean the shower head with cold water and fit it into the shower hose.
Hope After implanting this method your clogged shower head will get clean and tidy.
Method 4: How to clean a shower head with citric acid?
I used citric acid many times to clean my clogged shower head because it is very cheap and its low dose usage also will not harm your environment.
- Take a bowl and fill it with 1 liter of water.
- Add 1-3 teaspoons of citric acid per liter of water depending on how clogged your shower head is.
- Now insert your shower head in the bowl and leave it for 2 hour’s
- After 2 hours take it and wash with cold water
- Your shower head is tidy and unclogged now.
It is better to wear gloves on hands and mask on your face because citric acid is mildly irritating so avoid skin contact. If little liquid drops on your skin do not be panic merely wash it away. I hope this my method of cleaning my double shower heads so you will get good results after using it.
Once you clean your shower head by any of the methods listed above you, do not need to remove your showerhead after every week.
You need to spray it with any solution from the above methods whether it is vinegar only or (vinegar and baking soda) or (bleach and water) and rub the sprayed solution on the showerhead and after that just run the shower head.
- First I will prefer to use a metal shower head instead of using plastic shower heads because according to study plastic shower heads are getting more clogged than metal ones.
- If your shower head is not removable, you can just put the vinegar, baking soda or bleach solution in a plastic band and secure it tightly with the shower head.
- Baking soda and bleach are acids so it is better to wear hand gloves and mask on face.
- While using vinegar and bleach, it is good to open windows to make air flow, and smell can go outside.
- Also, check manual book that came with your shower head as bleach may react with your showerhead for safety.
- Like these, all are home techniques, so it is better first to test it on small surface area.
- Do not mix commercial cleaning products with these home techniques, as a result, might be dangerous.
Summary of How to clean a shower head with vinegar
Download This infographic.
Do Share This Infographic On Your Site!